We assist clients with all types Intellectual Property issues including utility patents, design patents, copyrights, trademarks, service marks, trade secrets and intellectual property transactions.
- US Patents
- US Trademarks
- US Copyrights
- Foreign Patents
- IP consulting contracts
- IP ownership
If you have a question or unsure of your possible intellectual property needs, contact us and let us educate you so you know the answer to your questions.
PRO TIP about Provisional Patent Applications:
You may have heard a provisional patent application is a quick, simple, inexpensive and easy approach to securing patent rights to your idea.
While that is relatively true there are many pitfalls:
- A poorly drafted provisional patent application and leave vital aspects of the invention unclaimed and even unclaimable, simply due to minor misstatements, typographical errors and unintentional omissions made by the author of the application.
- An overly simplistic and/or narrowly written provisional patent application may NOT provide the desired priority date that is desired for the follow-on non-provisional patent application.
- An incomplete provisional patent application may be deemed to not fully enable the claimed invention and thus not provide the desired priority date.
- An overly narrow provisional patent application can be relatively easily engineered around and thus be effectively unenforceable to protect your invention.
- A complete, formal non-provisional patent application must be filed within 12 months of the provisional patent application and must properly claim priority to the provisional patent application of the provisional patent application filing date can be lost.
There are many more pitfalls in drafting the patent application. Allow us to handle navigate around these pitfalls.